- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup extra brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 20g butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 170 C. Lightly grease a deep loaf tin.
- In a small bowl, stir together milk, lemon juice and vanilla essence.Stand for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cups brown sugar, oil and egg. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda, stir into sugar mixture alternately with the milk mixture just until combined.
- Fold in rhubarb and nuts. Pour mixture into prepared loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, combine extra brown sugar, cinnamon and butter. Sprinkle this mixture over the unbaked loaves.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes, until a fine skewer inserted into centre of a loaf comes out clean.
Serve warm from the oven or cold with butter.